A new 19-lane modern checkpoint at Newark Liberty International Airport’s (EWR) Terminal C has been opened this week. The new checkpoint includes 17 automated security screening lanes and two standard checkpoint lanes.
The first of the new checkpoint technology lanes at EWR opened just two days before the busy Thanksgiving holiday last year, and the remaining lanes have been phased in during the course of the past few months.
Since Thanksgiving, additional automated screening lanes have been deployed in stages to help handle the approximate 60,000 passengers per day who fly out of the busy New York metropolitan area airport. Now all 19 lanes are operational and in use by passengers.
The automated screening lanes are the result of a private partnership between the TSA and United Airlines who provided the initial equipment investment. TSA ensures proper operational deployment and long-term maintenance.
The new screening lanes offer several features designed to improve the screening of travelers by automating many of the functions previously conducted manually, which allows travelers to move more swiftly and efficiently through the checkpoint. These innovations include:
- Stainless steel countertops that were constructed to enable several passengers to place their items in bins simultaneously;
- Automated conveyor belts that draw bins into the X-ray machines, and return the bins back to the front of the queue for passengers;
- Parallel divestiture rollers that automatically push alarmed bags to a separate area to allow bins behind it to continue through the screening process uninterrupted;
- Property bins that are 25 percent larger than the bins in standard screening lanes, and are large enough to hold roller bags;
- Unique Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) tags that are attached to each bin to allow for additional accountability of a traveler’s items as they transit throughout the security process;
- Cameras that capture photographic images of the contents of each bin, which are linked side-by-side to the X-ray image of a bag’s contents.
There are currently 48 automated screening lanes deployed at four U.S. airports.
- Newark Liberty International Airport: 17
- Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport: 19
- Los Angeles International Airport: 7
Chicago O’Hare International Airp