Liverpool John Lennon Airport marked the 50th Anniversary of the opening of the Airport’s runway this week. Whilst the airport opened in July 1933, the runway used today at the airport was officially opened on 7 May 1966.
Until the opening of the new runway, aircraft used to operate from runways located adjacent to the old airport terminal building which is now the Crowne Plaza Hotel, on land since redeveloped to become the Liverpool International Business Park. Work started in November 1964 to construct a 7,500 ft new runway on land to the south of the then existing airport, at a cost of around £3 million and took 18 months to complete.
The runway has since undergone a £22m major refurbishing and upgrading in 2007. Apart from commercial flights there has been a diverse mix of aircraft using the runway since it was built. These have included one of the world’s largest aircraft – the Russian Antonov 124, Concorde and The Red Arrows display team.
Robin Tudor, LJLA’s Head of PR commented, “The runway here at the airport is perhaps our most important asset and deserves to be celebrated. Millions of passengers will have started or ended their journeys on it and we look forward to welcoming all sorts of aircraft using it over the next 50 years.”