Gatwick’s Airport Community App wins ‘Business IT Innovation of the Year’

Gatwick’s Airport Community App was awarded ‘Business IT Innovation of the Year’ at the BCS – Chartered Institute for IT – awards, which are widely seen as the benchmark for outstanding performance throughout the UK IT industry.

The BCS judged Gatwick’s Airport Community App to have delivered the most measurable benefit for its business users and customers out of ten shortlisted finalists at the ceremony on Wednesday 15 November at Battersea Park Events Area.

Gatwick devised the Community App concept with AirportLabs and it was launched at the airport last year.  The app gives the 10,000-strong workforce that currently use it easy access to real time information about airport issues on their smart phone.  Gatwick staff make up 25 per cent of current users at the airport, with the remaining 75 per cent working for other entities on the airport campus including airlines, ground handlers, retailers, tenants, police and immigration services.

The awards come just weeks after Gatwick won one of the ‘Special Awards’ – Digital In-house Team of the Year – at the Digital Impact Awards, with the ‘Community App’ also winning Best Corporate App.

Cathal Corcoran, Chief Information Officer, Gatwick Airport, said: “I would like to congratulate the airport’s talented and hardworking digital team for making these awards a reality.

“The Airport Community app has had a transformational impact across the airport campus, with the digital platform bringing all entities operating on the campus together, breaking down information silos and flattening hierarchy when it comes to real time data sharing and decision making. More than 200 companies and 10,000 users are now using the app at Gatwick.

“We worked closely with AirportLabs to develop this initiative as a multi-airport app and it is being used or trailed at 10 airports across the world already, creating a new industry trend.”

The Airport Community App also picked up two separate Digital Entrepreneur Awards earlier in the month, and won Best Corporate App and the Digital Impact awards.

share on:

Leave a Response